World

Hurricane dorian: Canada and Maine braced as storm continues destructive path | World | News

The storm hit mainland US on Friday as it struck North Carolinas outer regions causing dangerous storm surges that combined with its powerful winds. Following its strike on North Carolina, the Hurricane will head towards the northeast of the US.

Although Maine will largely see severe tropical storms, the island of Nova Scotia and parts of the Canadian state of New Brunswick have been issued with a hurricane warning.

In an update from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and National Weather Center, they confirmed that the storm is likely to have a significant impact in portions of eastern Canada.

Moreover, the hurricane is likely to inflict a dangerous storm surge impact for Nova Scotia this weekend.

The prediction of the Hurricanes path comes as the storm recently hit North Carolina where wind speeds were estimated at 90mph (150km/h) by the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricane Dorian made landfall over Cape Hatteras in the state and with water levels on the island of Ocracoke Island reaching to seven feet.

Governor of the state, Roy Cooper admitted that he had concern about hundreds of people trapped on Ocracoke Island.

Moreover, a local bookstore owner, Leslie Lanier said that the water is higher than I have ever seen.

Mr Cooper also admitted that areas on the island were still without power with an estimated 800 stranded on the island.

JUST IN:Hurricanes vs nuclear bombs: How Trump’s nuclear plot could DESTROY US

Speaking on local radio Mr Sands said: The question being put is, What is the official confirmed death toll?

Let me say that I believe the number will be staggering.

There are only particular people that can declare persons dead.

It is going to be significantly higher than that.

And until such persons are declared dead, they cannot be recorded as an official death.

According to reports, the storm has left an estimated 60,000 people without food supplies.

Both Grand Bahama and Abaco bore the brunt of the hurricane with Mr Sands confirming that the Government does not have capacity to deal with the disaster.

In order to try and deal with the casualties from the disaster, Mr Sands also revealed that 50 additional doctors will be brought to the islands.

In total, there are 70,000 people who live on the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama but it is still unclear as to how many people had been evacuated.

Florida Senator, Marco Rubio also confirmed that the US Government run aid agency has formally requested aerial support.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More